BUT, there’s A SOLUTION!
- Amazon doesn’t ship Kindle out of the US. Therefore you must register with Vpost first. With Vpost, you can buy products from countries like, US, Europe and Japan.
- Go to Amazon.com, log into or create an account if you do not already have one. Buy the Kindle 2/DX and have Amazon shipped it to your Vpost (USA) **address. I will skip the rest of the procedures between you and Vpost as you can find them at their site.
- Once you receive your Kindle 2 in Singapore, the fun begins!
- Log into your Amazon.com account and buy a Gift Certificate and email the code to yourself.
- You should be able to receive the gift certificate code in your email in a matter of minutes.
- Copy and paste and apply the code to your Amazon account.
- Delete ALL you existing credit card information. Reason being that when you buy a Kindle book, the system will check this information and when it recognises that your credit card is not issused by a US bank, the purchases won’t go through.
- Drum rolls please…..
- Congratulations! You should now be able to buy books for your Kindle 2. Just ensure that the gift certificate has enough credit for what you are purchasing.
- To download your purchased books and sync to your Kindle via USB, go to ‘My Account’, scroll down to ‘Digital Content’ and click on the ‘Manage Your Kindle‘ link.
- Scroll down until you see, ‘Your Orders’. You should be able to see all your purchases. And on the right, there is an drop down menu that says, “Deliver too…”.
- And in that menu, choose the option that says, “Transfer via computer…” or something to that effect.
- Connect your Kindle via USB and drop the newly purchased book(s) into your Documents directory of your Kindle and HAVE FUN READING!
- Hope the above instructions help. If you run into any problems, feel free to ask me via this blog.
*Updated on 2 Jul 09: Thank God, I finally found the original blog where I learned this trick from. Credit must go to NerdGirl! I just tweaked it to people here living in Singapore.
WARNING! (dtd 10 Jul 09): DO NOT use IE 8 to purchase your Kindle books. A reader, David, had problem purchasing his Kindle books, even with the gift voucher. Until he changed to Google Chrome, the problem was solved!
Update: 10 Jul 09: PDF Conversion: If you want to read pdf books, no problem! Just send your pdf book to email@example.com. And in a few minutes time, an. azw (Kindle) version will be sent back to you. There’s no need to add Subject or Body heading. But remember the word, “free.” must be added in front of “kindle.com”. Therefore, it should be @free.kindle.com, not @kindle.com.
**Update: 11 Dec 09: Spoke with a Singpost staff and asked her especially with regards to the Amazon Kindle. She told me to ship it to Portland Oregon address instead of the Compton California’s. Reason being Compton is very strict with battery stuff. I’d suspect it’s the state of California that is strict, not Compton itself. So, just ship to the Portland Oregon address.